Đối tác - Liên kết

English 11

Thảo luận trong 'Tuyển sinh - Chiêu sinh' bắt đầu bởi jungmanhyung, 28/9/12.

1. jungmanhyung

jungmanhyung New Member

Tham gia ngày:
    17/4/12
    Bài viết:
    Đã được thích:
    Điểm thành tích:
    Unit 1: FRIENDSHIP
    Lan’s Talk
    My best friend is Ha. We’ve been friends for a long time. We used to live in Nguyen Cong Tru Residential in Hanoi. Her family moved to Haiphong in 1985. It is said that Haiphong people are cold, but Ha is really, really friendly. I started to get to know her when I was going on a two-day trip to Do Son last year and I didn’t know anybody there. I gave Ha a ring and she was so friendly, she said, “Oh, I’ll come to visit you.” So she rode on her motorbike to Do Son and twenty minutes later she was there. She stayed with me for two days. She happened to know a lot of people there, so she introduced me around, and we’ve been best friends ever since.

Long’s Talk

My best friend is Minh. We met in college. I was there singing and Minh was a guitarist. So we worked together a lot. Minh has a great sense of humour, he’s very, very funny, and that’s one of my favourite things about him. And over the years, we have been through good times and bad times with each other, and that’s one of the things I like best about him. And we have a lot of the same interests. We like to go to plays and movies together. But when we’re going through a rough time, he’s really a good friend, and he’s a very good listener, and he always helped me through.

Unit 2: PERSONAL EXPERIENCES
    Unforgettable Experiences
    Interviewer: This is Radio 3. In our “Unforgettable Experiences” programme tonight we talk to Christina, a successful businesswoman. Hello Christina, welcome to our programme.

Christina: Hello and thank you! It’s nice being with you tonight.

Interviewer: Christina, could you tell our audience about the most memorable experience in your life?

Christina: Well, my most unforgettable experience happened thirteen years ago, when my house burned down.

Interviewer: Really? How did it happen?

Christina: The fire started in the kitchen where I forgot to turn off the gas stove.

Interviewer: What were you doing at that time?

Christina: I was sleeping when I was suddenly woken up by terrible heat. I opened my eyes to find myself surrounded by walls of fire.

Interviewer: That’s terrible! How did you escape?

Christina: I was terrified. Then I heard my mother’s voice calling my name. I rushed to her. She carried me out. Luckily, I got away without even a minor burn.

Interviewer: Not many people are so lucky. Did the fire affect you in any way?

Christina: Oh, yes. Yes, very much, in fact. Although I lost many things in the fire, the experience helped me grow up.

Interviewer: What do you mean?

Christina: Well, before the fire, I was selfish. I always complained to my mother about how small my room was, or how few clothes I had. Then the fire came and destroyed everything we owned. But I slowly began to realize that I didn’t really need my odd things. I just needed my family. After all, you can get new clothes anytime, but a family can never be replaced.

Interviewer: I see, so the fire took many things from you, but it gave you some thing, too.

Christina: Exactly. It taught me to appreciate my family more than things.

Unit 3: A PARTY
    Mai is my neighbor. She turned 16 recently and her parents held a birthday party for her. I was one of those invited.

The party began at about three in the afternoon. There were about twenty of us gathering in Mai’s house. She didn’t like having the party at a restaurant because it is noisy and expensive.

We gave presents to Mai and she happily opened them. It must really be exciting to receive all those presents. After that Mai’s mother served us soft drinks and biscuits. We then listened to music and played cards. The winners were given prizes. At about four thirty Mai’s mother brought out the birthday cake. It was beautifully decorated with pink and white icing. Sixteen colourful candles sat in the middles of the cake. We all clapped our hands eagerly and sang “Happy Birthday” as she blew out the candles and cut the cake. We helped ourselves to slices of the delicious cake and sang all the songs that we knew.

Finally at about six in the evening the party came to an end. We were all tired but happy. The parents of other children came to collect them by motorbikes. I helped Mai and her mother clean up the mess we had made. After that I walked home, which was only three doors away.

Unit 4: VOLUNTEER WORK

Spring School is an informal school. It provides classes to advantaged children in HCM City. Around 30 street children live and study at the school and about 250 children with special difficulties from District 1 regularly attend classes.

The Organisation for educational development co-operated with Spring School to set up English classes in 1998. Dane, theatre, singing and folk music classes were set up a year later. Children from these classes participate in fundraising performances. They raise money to continue their English and Performance Arts classes.

Spring School requires volunteers to help organise their fundraising dinner held annually in June. This is an exciting night in which children dance, sing and play music at one of the largest hotels in HCM City. They also need foreign volunteers to contact sponsors and help to expand the school activities. Volunteers are required from February until July to help organise these events.
    It is hoped that more schools like Spring School will soon be found in other cities in Vietnam.

Unit 5: ILLITARACY
    In an informal survey carried out in Perth, western of Australia, students were asked to give their views on what makes an effective school. 80 per cent of the students felt that mutual respect in the classroom was essential learning to take place. This implied that students should be treated as individuals with both their strengths and their weaknesses. 60 per cent of the students felt they should be encouraged to set realistic goals for their learning, and to have positive attitudes towards themselves and others.
    About 55 per cent of the students expected their teachers to be motivated and interested in what they were doing; this would then reflect in their performance of the students. Nearly all the students believed that learning should be centered on important life skills such as communication, building self-respect and self-confidence, the ability to learn from failure, and time management, suited to the maturity of the students concerned.
    One hundred per cent of the students felt that the social side of school was as important as academic activities. The older students felt that they should be allowed to give some input school decision making a direct effect on students.

Unit 6: COMPETITIONS
    Trang: What are you reading, Paul?
    Paul: The history of Boston Marathon.
    Trang: It sounds interesting! How often is it held?
    Paul: Every year, in the USA.
    Trang: When did it begin?
    Paul: In 1897. And the same year, John McDermott won the first Boston Athletic Association Marathon.
    Trang: Who was John McDermott? Where did he come from?
    Paul: He was the first man who won the first Boston Marathon in the USA. Ha came from New York.
    Trang: How long did it take him to reach the finish?
    Paul: He clocked 2 hours 50 minutes and 10 seconds.
    Trang: Did women have right to participate in long distance running?
    Paul: Yes ... But not until 1967, women were formally accepted to take part in the Boston races... A few years later, Kuscsik became the first official female champion.
    Trang: When did she win the race?
    Paul: In 2972. There were 8 women starting the race and all 8 finished.
    Trang: Is the race held for only American people?
    Paul: No. Each year, more runners from every part of the world join it. In 1984, 6164 runners from 34 countries ran in the marathon.
    Trang: What are the rules of the Boston Marathon?
    Paul: The Boston race is about 42 km. Runners have to go through 13 towns during the race. It ends in the centre of Boston.
    Trang: Oh, that’s great. Thanks a lot, Paul.

Unit 7: WORLD POPULATION
    Interviewer: Good evening ladies and gentlemen. In our program tonight, we are honoured to have Dr. Brown, a world famous population expert. Dr. Brown, could you tell us something about the world population?
    Dr. Brown: Well, there are over 6,700 million people in the world today, and the total is increasing at the rate of about 76 million a year. Experts say that the population of the world could be over 7 billion by the year 2015.
    Interviewer: Do all parts of the world have the same rate of population growth?
    Dr. Brown: No, they don’t. The population is growing more quickly in some parts of the world than others. Latin America ranks first, Africa second, and Asia third.
    Interviewer: What is the main reason for the population explosion?
    Dr. Brown: Well, I think the main reason is a fall in death rates. This is due to the improvement of the living conditions and medical care.
    Interviewer: I believe the explosion of population has caused many problems. Is it right?
    Dr. Brown: Yes, it is. It caused a lot of problems such as shortage of food, lack of hospitals and schools, illiteracy, and low living standards.
    Interviewer: Can you make some suggestions on how to solve these problems?
    Dr. Brown: I think, there are a number of solutions to the problems. The first is to educate people and make them aware of the danger of having more children. The second is to provide safe, inexpensive birth-control methods. The third is to strictly implement a family planning policy. And the fourth is to exercise strict and fair reward and punishment policies.
    Interviewer: Thank you very much for being with us tonight, Dr. Brown.
    Dr. Brown: You’re welcome.

Unit 8: CELEBRATIONS
    LAN: You lived in Japan for more than two years, could you tell me something about Japanese New year, Mai? When is the New Year observed?
    MAI: It’s on 1st January, and it lasts three days through 3rd January.
    LAN: Do people do the same things as we do in Vietnam?
    MAI: Well, there are some similarities and also some differences.
    LAN: Please, tell me about them.
    MAI: The preparations begin a few days before the New Year when housewives start cooking special food for New Year’s Day.
    LAN: Do they clean and decorate their houses?
    MAI: Sure, they do. On the New Year’s Eve every household do a big cleaning up. The idea is to get rid of the dirt of the past year and welcome the new one.
    LAN: Yes, they usually decorate their houses with some small pine trees on both sides of the door, which represent longevity and constancy. People also exchange cards and gifts.
    MAI: I see. And what do they usually do on the New Year’s Eve?
    LAN: Family members sit around and start watching the national singing contest on television. But the last notes must be sung before midnight. Then television and radio will broadcast 108 bells. As soon as the 108th bell is rung, people all say “Happy New Year”.
    MAI: What do they usually do next?
    LAN: Some families put on special kimonos or dress to go to visit their shrine.
    Then they come home and eat their special New Year Day’s food and drink a lot of rice wine. New Year’s Day is mostly celebrated among family only.

Unit 9: THE POST OFFICE
    Over the past few years, Vietnam has quickly developed its telephone system.
    Vietnam ranks second only to China for growth in the number of telephone subscribers. It is among the 30 countries in the world that have more than two million telephone subscribers.
    In the early 1990s, there were only 140,000 telephones across Vietnam. At present, we have more than six million subscribers.
    In 1996, Vietnam began upgrading its fixed telephone networks and changing numbers from six to seven digits in Hanoi and Ho Chi Ming City as well as five to six digits in other provinces.
    Five years later the mobile phone system was upgraded to meet the growth in customer demand. Since 2000, Vietnam has reduced the price of several services, especially in the monthly fees for fixed and mobile telephones.
    In the future, more attention will be paid to the rural areas. At present, 93 percent of communes across Vietnam have telephone services. A network of 6,014 communal post offices have been set up across the country.

Unit 10: NATURE IN DANGER
    In many parts of the United States, large areas of land have been made into national parks to protect and preserve the natural beauty of the land. National parks usually contain a variety of scenic features, such as mountains, caves, lakes, rare animals and plants. Today, there are 52 national parks in the United States, covering approximately 3 per cent of the total land area of the country. National parks are open to the public and have million of visitors every year.
    Many national parks, however, are in danger of being destroyed. Rare animals in national parks are killed or hunted for fur, skin or other parts. Trees are cut down for wood. Large areas of national parks also experience devastating fires caused by careless people. The increasing number of visitors is harming the parks due to the pollution from their vehicles.
    If these problems are not solved immediately, and if there is not enough money for the parks’ staff and maintenance of their resources, many national parks will be completely destroyed.
    Unit 11: SOURCES OF ENERGY
    The natural environment includes all natural resources that are necessary for li8fe: the air, the ocean, the sun, and the land. Because they are vital for life, these resources must be protected from pollution and conserved. Ecologists study their importance and how to use them carefully.
    According to ecologists, resources are divided into two groups: renewable and nonrenewable. When a resource is used, it takes some time to replace it. If the resource can be replaced quickly, it is called renewable. For example, grass for animals is a renewable resource. When cows eat the grass, the resource is used. If the soil is fertilized and protected, more grass will grow. Coal, however, is nonrenewable because it takes millions of years to make coal. All fossil fuels are nonrenewable resources.
    Solar energy, air, and water are renewable resources because there is unlimited supply. However, this definition may change if people are not careful with these resources. The amount of solar energy that reaches the earth depends on the atmosphere. If the atmosphere is polluted, the solar energy that reaches the earth may be dangerous. If life is going to continue, the air must contain the correct amount of nitrogen (N), oxygen (O), carbon dioxide (CO2), and other gases. If humans continue to pollute the air, it will not contain the correct amounts of these gases.
    Unit 12: THE ASIAN GAMES
    Good evening. It’s 10.15 and it’s time for “The Asian Games Report”. It’s the 3rd day of the Games. Well, today’s most important event was the women’s 200-metre freestyle. The Japanese, Yuko was the first and got the gold medal. She made a new record time of 1 minute 58 seconds. The Japanese athletes won two gold medals yesterday, and three the day before, so in the first three days they’ve won six gold medals.
    ...Here we’re in the Gymnasium. Lily, the Chinese gymnast, has just finished her display. She’s got an average of 9.5 points. That’s the best score today! Lily’s won the gold medal!
    ...And this is Lee Bong-ju coming from Korea. This is the second time he completed in the long jump- at the Asian Games. Last time he jumped 8.5 metres. Today he’s won a gold medal for men’s long jump. He jumped 8.9 metres.
    ...Now we’re waiting for the last high jumper, Vichai coming from Thailand. The bar is at 2.30 metres and... it seems too high for him. Vichai has just jumped! ...Ooh! He’s crashed into the bar! He’s landing. The bar has fallen too. He’s getting up and walking away. But he’s very disappointed.

Unit 13: HOBBIES My Hobby
    My hobby is reading. I read story books, magazines, newspapers and any kind of material that I find interesting.
    My hobby got started when I was a little boy. I had always wanted my parents to read fairy tales and other stories to me. Soon they got fed up with having to read to me continually. So as soon as I could, I learned to read. I started with simple ADC books. Soon I could read fairy tales and stories. Now I read just about anything that is available.
    Reading enables me to learn about so many things. I learned about how people lived in bygone days. I learned about the wonders of the world, space travel, human achievements, gigantic whales, tiny viruses and other fascinating things.
    The wonderful thing about reading is that I do not have to learn things the very hard way. For example, I do not have to catch a disease to know that it can kill me. I know the danger so I can avoid it. Also I do not have to deep into the jungle to find out about tigers. I can read all about it in a book.
    Books provide the reader with so many facts and so much information. They have certainly helped me in my daily life. I am better equipped to cope with living. Otherwise I would go about ignorantly learning things the hard way.
    So I continue to read. Reading is indeed a good hobby.

Unit 14: RECREATION
    Three American students are talking about how they would like to spend their summer vacation.
    ANNA: It’s hot and humid in New York City in the summer and I often feel depressed then. So in July and August I often go out of the city to the west where there are some beautiful national parks and forests. I often go with my friends, and I spend two weeks in a national park every year. We might stay at campgrounds in the park, but wilderness areas are more fun. What we enjoy most is to ride our dirt bike in the desert, take showers in waterfalls and swim in the lakes and rivers. And at night we sleep in our sleeping bags or tents and cook on our gas stove. It’s wonderful that we can live in nature and enjoy it.
    TERRY: I used to go to the mountains, the desert, and other places with spectacular scenery in summer. I don’t any more, although I’m attracted to the beauty of nature. But I do think these natural places aren’t as beautiful as they used to be. Now more and more people are going to these places. They leave trash in the forests, and take rocks and plants with them. They don’t care about nature. I believe not only people are important to the world - nature is important, too.
    MARY: Like most other people I’m very fond of natural spectacular scenery, but when I travel, I spend most of my time in cities. Why I don’t want to live in nature and enjoy it? It’s the solitude of the wilderness. It’s for animals and plants, not for me. I hate camping, too. I can’t put up an umbrella tent in the wind. I can’t make a fire in the rain, and a backpack is usually too heavy for me. So I’d better stay in the cities and enjoy the comfort they offer.

Unit 15: SPACE CONQUEST
    In a speech to the Congress in 1961, the US President Kennedy challenged the nation to put a man in the moon before the end of the decade. After the president’s speech, NASA’s Apollo program was developed to meet the challenge.
    On July 16, 1969, the Apollo 11 was launched. The astronauts on board of the spacecraft were Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin and Michael Collins.
    On July 20, 1969, Neil Armstrong became the first man on the moon. He was followed by Aldrin 40 minutes later. TO walk on the moon surface, the astronauts need to wear a spacesuit with a portable life support system. This controlled the oxygen, temperature and pressure inside the spacesuit.
    Armstrong and Aldrin spent a total of two and a half hours on the moon’s surface. They performed a variety of experiments and collected soil and rock samples to return to the Earth. An American flag was left on the moon’s surface as a reminder of the achievement.
    The crew of Apollo 11 returned to the Earth on July 24, 1969. They successfully completed their historic mission. It is regarded as the greatest human efforts in the history of man kind.

Unit 16: THE WONDERS OF THE WORLD
    THE GREAT WALL OF CHINA
    The Great Wall of China, which is said to be visible from the moon, winds up and down across deserts, grasslands and mountains of 5 provinces. It is considered one of the greatest man-made wonders in the world thanks to its magnificence and significance. In 1987, the Great Wall was listed as a World Heritage by UNESCO.
    The Great Wall as we see today was mostly built during the Ming Dynasty for defence purposes. It started in 1368 and took 200 years to complete. Some parts of the wall are much older and go back to around 200 B.C. It stretches for about 6,000 km from east to west. The wall is about 11 meters high and a stone roadway runs along the top of it.
    The Great Wall is a symbol of the Chinese nation through out history. If you prefer to see the wall in a relatively natural state, you’d better go to northwest of Beijing. This part of the wall is the best choice for it is still in its original state. A visit to the Great Wall will certainly bring tourists great excitement in each step of the wall.

Chỉnh sửa cuối: 8/10/12